Cinnamon Breakfast Toast with Orange-Rum Syrup
6 servings (2 slices each)
- This Cinnamon Breakfast Toast will become a family favorite! Oranges and rum are produced in Venezuela, so it makes sense that this version of French toast is served with scrumptious syrup flavored with these local gems. Cinnamon also infuses both the egg mixture and syrup. Serve with fresh orange slices for a special touch.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon rum
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 pound French bread loaf (ends removed), cut into twelve, 1-inch slices (keep to about 1 inch, no higher than 1 1/4 inches)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh orange slices and mint leaves (optional)
Place water, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves, rum and orange zest in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, on medium-high heat until mixture thickens slightly and turns golden, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from heat; remove cinnamon stick and cloves. Keep warm or, if to be used later, allow to cool and pour into container; cover and refrigerate. Warm before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Whisk together evaporated milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture into 13 x 9-inch pan or shallow dish. Place bread slices in milk mixture. Turn bread over to coat evenly.
Pour oil into large skillet to reach 1/8-inch up side. Heat over medium-high heat until oil is very hot. Fry bread slices until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and heat until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to warm serving platter. Serve with warm Orange-Rum Syrup. Garnish with orange slices and mint leaves, if desired.