Carnation® Green Bean Casserole
Makes 6 servings
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 cups (1 pound) green beans, canned and drained OR fresh and blanched
- 1 cup French fried onions
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Spray a 9- or 10-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for an additional minute, until fragrant. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer. Decrease the heat to medium-low and stir in evaporated milk. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens. Stir in green beans.
Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish.
Bake casserole for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Top with French fried onions and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and let casserole cool on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.