Dairy Free Mac & Cheese
10 servings, 1 cup each
We know that you will love this Mac & Cheese as much as we do. Cooked vegetables, soaked, raw cashews, nutritional yeast, NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Almond Cooking Milk, plus some spices make for wonder sauce. This savory delight can be served baked or not. Make sure that you allow at least 2 hours prior to preparation to soak the cashews.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Almond Cooking Milk 11 oz
- 3 cups dry, small elbow macaroni
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup peeled and chopped yellow potatoes
- 1/3 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup raw, soaked cashews
- 1/3 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Almond Cooking Milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Toppings: panko bread flakes, crushed croutons or kale chips (optional)
Cook macaroni to al denté texture according to package instructions. Drain; place in large bowl. Cover and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Boil 3 cups of water in a small pot and place chopped potatoes, carrots and onion in the boiling water. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
Drain vegetables making sure to reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Place vegetables and reserved cooking water in blender container. Add soaked cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Cover; blend until smooth.
Pour sauce over cooked macaroni in bowl; mix well. Pour into 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with topping of choice.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crumbs turn golden brown. Serve warm.