Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Makes 12 servings
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 pound cauliflower florets, cooked
- 1 pound corkscrew or cavatappi pasta
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups (16 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
Turn oven broiler to low. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or casserole dish with baking spray. Set aside.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
In a large sauté pan, melt 1/4 cup butter with garlic over medium heat. Once butter is melted, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, pepper, and thyme.
Stir in evaporated milk and continue to whisk and cook until mixture is thickened, approximately 2-3 minutes.
Turn heat to low and stir in mozzarella cheese and Colby Jack cheese with a spatula or wooden spoon. Remove pan from heat; add pasta and cooked cauliflower. Stir to coat, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
Prepare topping in a small bowl, by combining melted butter, panko, and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle mixture over pasta.
Place pasta in the oven, at least 6 inches below the broiler. Broil pasta for 2-3 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
Remove dish from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.