Abuelita Atole (Abuelita Chocolate Drink)
- Atole is the historic name in Mexico for this delicious and popular beverage. Our Abuelita Atole adds the unmistakable flavor of chocolate and cinnamon which is so traditional in the Mexican cuisine.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ CARNATION or NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 tablets (90 grams each) NESTLÉ ABUELITA Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Combine 2 cups water, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and Abuelita in large saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches a boil. Remove from heat.
Combine remaining 1 cup water, egg yolks and cornstarch in medium bowl. While stirring, slowly add some of the chocolate mixture to the egg yolk mixture. Continue to add small amounts of chocolate mixture until the egg yolk mixture is at the same temperature as the chocolate mixture. Add the egg yolk mixture back to the remaining chocolate mixture.
Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract. Strain, if desired. Serve hot.