A friend from India gave me this recipe for pudding but we changed a few things to make it
more like a casserole to be served as a side dish. I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does.
****Note: the pudding can be assembled several hours ahead, covered and refrigerated, then removed from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking.
1. Place the carrots in a saucepan and add enough water to cover by one inch; bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce to a simmer and cook until fork-tender (about 20 minutes).
2. Drain the carrots and allow cooling slightly.
3. Puree the carrots in a food processor; add lemon juice, blend, and then transfer to a small bowl.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Coat a 2-quart soufflé dish or casserole with 1 tbsp of the butter; set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl, mix 4 tbsp butter, sugar, flour, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg beating until smooth.
7. Add the onion and pureed carrots, and mix well; then add the milk and eggs and mix until smooth.
8. Place the mixture into the prepared dish.
9. Bake in a preheated oven for 50 min-1 hour or until the pudding is puffed and lightly browned and the center is firm to the touch.
10. Serve immediately.