* 4 cups sliced onions
* 2 minced garlic cloves
* 4 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, sliced
* 6 slices provolone cheese
* 3/4 cup diced Swiss cheese
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat. Add olive oil and stir. Add onions and garlic, and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
2. Add beef stock, sherry and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into individual, oven safe, serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top, (it can also be broken into pieces, whichever you prefer). Layer cheese on top of bread; placing a slice of provolone,1/2 slice diced Swiss and then Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.
Not a NESTLÉ®-tested recipe.