One 4-ounce pkg. Baker's German Sweet Chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
4 large egg whites
COCONUT-PECAN FILLING & FROSTING
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
One 7-ounce pkg flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1) Make chocolate cakes: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of three 9" round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper rounds.
2) Melt chocolate with water;cool.
3) In medium bowl, sift together flour with soda and salt.
4) In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla and melted chocolate. At low speed, add flour misture in three additions alternately with buttermilk in two additions, beating after each addition until smooth.
5) In clean bowl of exectric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks; fold into batter. Scrape batter into prepared cake pans, dividing it equally. Bake cakes for 30 minutes or until each cake springs back shen lighly pressed in center. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove to cool on rack.
6) MAKE FILLING & FROSTING:
In large saucepan, combine evaporated milk, suger, butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown. Remove from heat.
7) Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature, until spreadable.
8) ASSEMBLE CAKE: Place layer on cake plate and top with filling, repeat, covering all layers, but not sides.
Not a NESTLÉ®-tested recipe.