In Response to Re: Cut the fat by 50%:
In Response to Re: Cut the fat by 50% : Yes I do get rid of the grease, although I do keep a bit or add some olive oil when I sauté the finely chopped mushrooms. I use almost any kind of mushroom but I have a mushroom that grows wild around here. It comes up in the fall and when I find them I dry them or I have found that they can be frozen without cooking prior to freezing. So I have several bags of Hen Of The Woods Mushrooms in my freezer. Each mushroom that I find weighs between 5 and 10 pounds depending on when I find it. So one mushroom does a good job of filling a portion of my freezer. Dried they take up much less room and are great for adding to chili and sauces.
Posted by nikki p
I used to pick wild mushrooms,but since my mom passed away I don't trust my judgement,My grandfather ,her dad used to find all kinds of mushrooms,and she knew a couple of types.We would pick meadow mushrooms the kind that grow near pastures and inky's.She said that her dad would find some so big they were like a steak.I could live on mushrooms.The reason we stopped picking after my mom passed away,my brother drinks beer and makes some of his own,well some mushrooms and alcohol don't mix.He prepared his meal this one evening including some of the wild mushrooms and was drinking his beer and felt his throat closing up,he was going into anaphylactic shock.We took him to the ER and he left that evening he was fine, they gave him something to counteract the reaction.It's not that the mushrooms were bad just not good mixed with alcohol.There are a lot of edible mushrooms growing in the wild,but I don't know which ones are OK,so I just better not.