The Food Guide Pyramid recommends two to four servings of fruit every day. A serving is one medium piece (like an apple or orange), 6 oz. of juice, or 1/2 cup of canned fruit. Although fruit juice does count toward your two to four servings a day, most juices contain no fiber, so whole fruit is a better choice.
Here’s how to add fruit to your everyday diet:
• Blend a Carnation instant breakfast with a frozen banana, a handful of frozen strawberries and a cup of milk.
• Stir applesauce into hot oatmeal.
• Choose an orange instead of potato chips with lunch.
• Add bananas to vanilla yogurt for an afternoon snack.
• Try some less-familiar fruits like guava, star fruit and kumquats.
• Mix diced mango with red onion and cilantro for a fruit salsa.
• Serve fruit salad for dessert.